03 October 2007

Ardha Matre (Half/Off Beat)

Punjabi Theka or Sitarkhani is a variation in Teen tala which is a 16 (matre) beat tala with 4,4,4,4 division. Or so I learnt! I looked at its theka. Unbelievable!

It is infact the off beat variation that I tried a few days ago. Instaed hitting 3r and 4th beats in the division, a single stroke on the tabla in between these beats creats an enjoyable variation.
Now I know this is called a Punjabi theaka!
My experinence is that this variation is not appropriate for entire performance. However is a good thing to try as a variation for improvisation.

My grand father used to tell me, "That Mrudanga player uses a lot of Ardha Matre Pettu (Off beat strokes), that confuses singer!". I have known where singers and drummers had tussel over off beat strokes... good thing to stay away from.

~rAGU

2 comments:

  1. Ardha matre is an offbeat concept in the West. Earlier today, my labmate was 'astonished' that I take ardha matre of pain killer when pain is too much versus kaal-matre when I just need some relief. She confessed to not having thought of ardha matre concept at all. Welcome to all-or-none america! Okays..if this comment is bullshit it is the influence of your previous post! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious! They probably have defnition by mg! I will have whole lota stuff to say about ammerricca. Wow my post is influential ahaan..!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note about what you think about this write up. Thanks.

ಯಕ್ಷಮಿತ್ರದಿಂದ ಹೊಸ್ತೋಟ ಭಾಗವತರ ಯಕ್ಷಗಾನ ಲಕ್ಷಣ ಗ್ರಂಥ ಪ್ರಕಟಣೆ

                      ಪುಸ್ತಕಕ್ಕಾಗಿ ಸಂಪರ್ಕಿಸಿ ಅಮೇರಿಕಾಸ್: +16473283934                        ಭಾರತ — ರವೀಂದ್ರ ಮುದ್ರಣಾಲಯ ಸಾಗರ, ಮೋ: +9194495872...